Have you ever thought about all of the lovely around you in our great state and what it means to be so close to so many adventures? We really are lucky. We like to travel as well as anyone, traveling outside of Michigan and exploring new places is the best. There are, however, so many things in Michigan to see and do, we often find ourselves adventuring right here in our great mitten state.
I’ve often been asked our favorite things to do, or for ideas for getaways for friends. I’ve decided to make a Michigan Bucket list. Here are a few of our favorite things, things that we’d do again and again, or things that we still have to cross off our bucket list! This is more of an explorer’s Michigan bucket list. You’ll see many lists all over the place, and ours doesn’t include things like museums, art galleries, or city walks. While these things are fun (We love our casino’s and Detroit!) This list is more for our outdoor explorers. Most of these ideas are family friendly! Get those kids outdoors!
Save it, do it, cross it off, and come back for more.
Happy adventuring Michiganders!
- Visit Tahquamenon falls in the Fall (or winter!)
- Camp and Hike the Porcupine Mountains and lake of the clouds area
- Kayak the Pine river
- Visit Cut River Bridge, take a walk on the trails underneath it.
We stopped and took some photos on this trip.
- Visit the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore in Munising, Kayak around them if you can!
- Visit Big Spring Kitch-iti-Kipi at Palms Book State Park.
We combined this with our visit to Fayette Historic State Park when we stayed at Indian Lake State Park. Read about that trip Here.
- Visit Isle Royale National Park
- Drive the Tunnel of trees on M-119 at peak fall color. Stop at all the roadside food and gift stands!
- Hike Sleeping Bear Dunes
- Ice Climbing at Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore
- Visit the ghost town of Fayette Historic State Park
- Take a Snowshoe making class at Ludington State Park
- Go for a drive on the Silver Lake Sand Dunes
- Ride bikes on Mackinac Island
- See the stars at the Headlands International Dark Sky Park in Mackinaw City
- Snowmobile in the UP
- Visit the Eben Ice caves
- Watch Fireworks over Lake Michigan from the beach at Charles Mears State Park on the 4th of July. Best fireworks show We’ve seen anywhere. Hands down.
- Stay at and tour a winery.
- Swim in Lake Michigan. All Day.
- Spend a weekend off the main land as a keeper of the DeTour Reef Lighthouse
- Do a waterfall tour of the U.P. – 127 to choose from!
- Kayak to Turnip Rock
- Drive the Keweenaw Peninsula area
- Hike the Grand Marais area. Be sure to include the Log Slide Overlook and Au Sable Light Station.